This is a lovely creamy Korma with great flavours. Buy the lamb readily diced or if you have some time, trimmed shoulder will work too.
Sprinkle over some chopped coriander or basil leaves and serve with basmati rice and salad. Naan bread also goes well with the korma.
Nutritional Analysis per Serving
Energy: 779 kcal
- 1 kg diced shoulder of lamb, well trimmed
- 1 tablesp. rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablesp. fresh root ginger grated
- 2 teasp. ground cumin
- 2 teasp. ground coriander
- 1 fresh chilli, chopped
- 5-6 cardamom pods, seeded and seeds crushed
- 1 heaped teasp. turmeric
- 1 x 400ml tin coconut milk
- 1 teasp. sugar
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lime
- 225g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teasp. cornflour or potato flour dissolved in a little water
- 2 handful spinach, chopped
- Salt and black pepper
Heat the oil in a heavy sauce and sauté the onion until golden. Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, chilli, cardamom and turmeric. Fry gently for 2 minutes. Add the lamb and coat with the onion and spice mixture. Stir in the coconut milk, sugar and lime rind. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally or cook in oven, Gas Mark 4, 180°C (350°F) for approximately 1 hour.
Add the mushrooms and the cornflour/potato starch, stir well then return to oven or hob for a further 15 minutes. Then add the spinach and stir well. Add in the lime juice and taste for seasoning.
Chopped coriander or basil leaves
Basmati rice and salad