This is a quick but flavoursome meal. There is also something very gratifying about getting your hands dirty while forming the meatballs. The chilli is optional, so they don’t have to be that spicy at all.
- 1 large potato, peeled and grated
- 1 large onion, peeled and grated
- 500 g/1 lb lamb, minced
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
- salt and pepper 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup fresh herbs such as parsley, coriander, tarragon and mint
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
Rinse the grated potato in cold water and with your hands squeeze out all the moisture. Place all the ingredients except the oil into a bowl and mix until well combined. Form the mixture into small balls and flatten them into pattie shapes. Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the meatballs in batches for about 5 minutes on each side, turning carefully.
We hope you enjoyed reading this post by Pat Whelan of James Whelan Butchers. Pat is a 5th generation butcher, cook book author and the director of James Whelan Butchers with shops in Clonmel, the Avoca Food Market Monkstown and Avoca Rathcoole. Sign up to our newsletter for more updates from James Whelan Butchers