- 1 lb (450g ) flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 level tsp bread soda
- 350 – 400mls ( 12-14 fl ozs ) buttermilk , or sour milk
- 1 red onion , cut into chunks
- 12 black or green olives , stones removed
- A few sprigs of rosemary
- A good drizzle of olive oil
Preheat the oven to 230C/450F/gas mark 8.
Brush the inside of a small Swiss roll tin generously with olive oil .Sieve the dry ingredients, and make a well in the centre. Pour most of the milk in at once. Using one hand, mix in the flour from the sides of the bowl, adding more milk if necessary. The dough should be softish, not too wet and sticky. When it all comes together, turn it out onto a floured board and roll it out so that it will fit into the Swiss roll tin . Make dimples with the tips of your fingers , to make little wells for the olive oil . Arrange chunks of red onion , olives and rosemary over the top , then drizzle with olive oil , and sprinkle with sea salt . Bake in a hot oven 230C\450F\ gas mark 8 for about 30 minutes or until cooked. If you are in doubt, the bread should be nice and golden on the bottom .
* If the bread gets a good golden colour and you don’t want it to darken any more , turn the oven down to 200’C and continue cooking .